Our hands can be a sign of aging because of their extensive use and unprotected sun exposure, revealing dark sun spots and pigmentation.
There are a variety of treatment options available for hand pigmentation at Phoenix Skin. A combination of different treatments may be necessary to achieve desired results, and a consultation is recommended to determine the best treatment plan for you.
What is IPL?
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. IPL is a non-invasive, non-ablative energy that targets sun-induced brown spots, freckles, birthmarks and broken capillaries in the skin. After a series of treatments, you will notice a significant reduction of unwanted pigmentation and redness.* Patients can resume most daily activities immediately after treatment.
It depends on the number of conditions we are treating and the severity of the damage. We offer single sessions and packages of three or six performed at 4-6 week intervals. This allows us to safely and effectively treat pigment at various depths & layers in the skin.
Does the Treatment Hurt?
IPL will feel like a hot rubber band snap on the surface of your skin. A mild sun-burn sensation can persist for up to 1 hour after your treatment, but usually subsides after the application of our PCA Skin products, but redness can last up to 12 hours.* For 12 hours to 14 days after your treatment, brown pigment with darken and crust as it is pulled to the surface and will then flake off with the skin’s natural cell turnover cycle.* Broken capillaries may temporarily darken and then fade.
What are the Side Effects and Risks?
Like any aesthetic laser treatment, there are some side effects and risks to be aware of. These risks such as burns, unwanted darkening and/or lightening of skin pigment can be increased by factors like tanning (indoor and outdoor), sun exposure, medications, and abrasive skin care use. Certain skin types and conditions are not candidates for IPL, so a free consultation prior to treatment is necessary. Our aestheticians and providers can help you determine if IPL is right for you and offer alternate solution if needed.
The PicoSure FOCUS is fast and gentle treatment that uses a lens array to reach a precise depth of the skin so that only 10% of the skin is being treated at the high-energy picosecond Focus level, with the lower level energy being used on the remaining 90 percent of the skin. This allows for deeper penetration to the dermis area under the skin, thus promoting collagen and elastin growth while also targeting the pigmentation. A series of 3 treatments every 4 weeks is recommended.
TCA Chemical Peel
Stronger than glycolic acid, trichloroacetic acid (TCA) is a deeper, more aggressive peel that removes dead skin cells, uncovering a “new” layer of skin with improved tone and texture. The chemical peel may cause light peeling, flaking skin within a few days following the treatment. A minimum of 6 treatments spaced one month apart is recommended.
Topical Cream Maintenance and Sunscreen
Topical applications of medical grade skincare products can stimulate the production of collagen and repair sun-damaged skin. It is recommended for maintenance after in-office treatments. Additionally, sunscreen should be applied daily to protect your new hands from future damage from the sun. Your technician can recommend the best products for your skin based on your specific needs.
Please note: When treating the hands with any procedure, patients are advised to avoid sun exposure for 4-6 weeks after treatment to protect the delicate, newly formed layers of skin and prevent pigmentation changes in the skin.
- Service Single Session/Pkg of 3/Pkg of 6
- IPL PhotoRejuvenation for Hands $150/$380/$675
- PicoSure FOCUS for Hands $275/$685
- Chemical Peels for Hands $55
- Pricing includes both hands
Each treatment varies in length depending on the area being treated. Most treatments take 30-45 minutes.
Mild redness and sunburn sensation may occur immediately after the treatment and usually subsides within an hour. Areas of concern (i.e. freckles, sun spots, broken capillaries) will appear darker immediately after the treatment and may continue to look this way for 10-14 days.* A light makeup or tinted moisturizer should cover it. Sunscreen must be worn at all times.
Results from each IPL treatment can be seen about 10-14 days, post-procedure. Treatments are done every 4-6 weeks. Most patients notice a great difference in one treatment, but 3-6 treatments are recommended for optimal results.
If treating for Rosacea, broken capillaries or redness – it is recommended to follow up with a maintenance treatment every 6-12 months to maintain the results. If treating for sun damage and pigmentation the results are usually long-lasting. However, pigmentation may come back or you can develop new spots due to sun exposure or other factors, therefore, maintenance treatments may be needed. Proper sun protection is recommended to maintain and protect your results.